St Jerome's Church
The Parish Church stands just below the village green. The exact date of construction is not known, but the cruciform shape of the church strongly suggests that it was built in the 13th century. It is also known that a church stood on this site before the present one was built.
St. Jerome's underwent extensive renovation in the late 1870s and many of its medieval features were removed. But there are still reminders of its earlier use. These include two stones standing out from the wall above the pulpit and are understood to be all that remains of the medieval staircase that led to a minstrel's gallery.
The limestone font has a plain square bowl and a cylindrical base and probably dates back to the 13th century. From the outside of the church on the south wall can be seen the remains of a leper window.
The north or Roche aisle is the one part of the church left virtually unscathed during the Victorian renovation, with plenty of reminders of its 13th and 14th century beginnings. At the junction of the north aisle with the chancel there is a hagioscope or 'squint'. This was so that the lord and lady of the manor could observe the service and clergy without having to mix with the serfs and peasants.
Also found in the north aisle are two effigies set back in their own niches, one of a knight in full armour and a most interesting feature are the beautiful shoes he wears. The second is of an elegantly attired lady of an earlier generation to the knight and both are believed to be members of the De La Roche family who had been given lands and estates in this area after the Norman conquests.
The church was dedicated to St. Jerome in 1786 and that brought it into line with the two other Llangwms, one in North Wales and the other in Monmouthshire.
Visitors to Llangwm are always welcome to visit the church, which is open between 10.00am and 5.00pm during the summer months.
St. Jerome's Church has an excellent and intimate acoustic and as a result, the church started to mount fundraising concerts. These not only proved popular with audiences, but also with those mucicians and choirs who have performed here. The St. Jerome's concerts which are intended to appeal to every musical taste take place at approximate six week intervals and the concerts range from Opera to Jazz, from Medieval to Folk and from Gospel to Classical Guitar.
We work with the Night Out scheme of the Arts Council for Wales and they enable us to occasionally present the very best of talent in Wales and from around the world. Thanks to Night Out, we were able to launch our third concert season with Umdumo Wesizwe, an acapella choir from Zimbabwe.
To see details of the next concert, please go to the News Page
1st Sunday in the month at 9.00am - Family Worship and Said Eucharist
2nd, 3rd & 4th Sunday in month at 9.00am - Parish Eucharist.
5th Sunday in month at 10.00am - Combined Eucharist with Johnston & Freystrop, rotating between the churches.
Most Wednesdays at 9.30am - Said Eucharist (Please check with Rector).
Last Saturday in month during school term at 4.00pm - Krafty Kids. A club for children between 5 and 13 to come and make things and have fun.
1st Monday of month - Mothers Union. Please call 01437 890617 to check details.
The Rector: The Reverend Jane Goupillon
Tel. 01437 891317
Link to Church In Wales
Methodist services were first held in Llangwm in 1824 but at that time no Chapel had at been built. It was 10 years later in 1834 that Methodists were able to meet in their own building. This building 168 persons and congregations soon out grew its capacity..
With the commencement of a Sunday School in 1881 and regular concerts and anniversaries, the old chapel tended to become 'densely packed' at such events. 'So much so that when lamplight was needed, the lighted lamps would gradually grow dim as the oxygen became exhausted by the large congregation.'
So in 1896 land was acquired on Llangwm Green and the present chapel was built at a cost of £1,285; paid for by the hard-earned wages of the chapel members, subscriptions, teas and concerts.
The men from the Chapel dug the stone for the building from the Roose Ferry Quarry, which was owned by Sir Owen Scourfield of Williamston, who gave it free. It was loaded into rowing boats and ferried to Guildford Pill, often by men on their way home from work at H.M. Dockyard.
In 1935 electricity came to the village and was immediately installed in the Chapel. A genuine Willis organ was bought and installed in 1947. Although social attitudes to Sunday have changed over the years, the Wesleyan cause still prospers in Llangwm in the hands of many of the descendants of the early followers of Methodism.
Services. Information to follow.
The first Baptist Church in Llangwm was founded on Christmas Day 1830, an old stone building opposite the junction of Williamston Terrace and the bottom of Butterhill. Some of what is left of the old chapel can still be found in what is now part of the present Chapel car park.
24 founding members stood in a semi-circle around the preacher Henry Evans, and, with joined hands, solemnly took the pledge of a Covenant - 20 clauses incorporating their confession of faith. One founder member was William Pickins, who fought in the Battle of Waterloo (1815). In 1834, 9 more were added to the church by baptism and 3 by restoration.
A Sabbath School was set up following a public meeting on 24th June 1836. The name Galilee was chosen as appropriate to the location of a little chapel in a fishing village on the banks of a tidal river near the sea.
The present chapel was built on a new much larger site in 1904, with red sandstone quarried at Port Lion, and funded by events and donations. The Baptist cause grew in strength in Llangwm and Galilee was noted for its Sunday School anniversaries, harvest festivals, the redoubtable choir, fine congregational singing and, in pre-television days, the Christmas Day concerts.
Services: Every Sunday at 10.30am, all are welcome.
Sunday School: Every Sunday at 1030am
The Women's League Meetings with a variety of interesting speakers are held fortnightly on Thursdays at 2.00pm in the vestry
All enquiries: 01437 891580